Wednesday, February 8, 2012

PERIGEE MOON, by Tara Fuller

As a grab myself another box of kleenex and hope this fever goes away, enjoy today's YA book feature, PERIGEE MOON, by Tara Fuller. This book is getting a lot of buzz, so be sure to check it out:

PERIGEE MOON: Synopsis, from Goodreads:

After a horrific fire claims the life of her mother, seventeen year old Rowan Bliss finds herself in the miniscule town of Ipswich, Massachusetts. It’s here that she meets Alex, a deliciously mysterious boy who holds the key to unlocking her family’s dark secret.

As Rowan falls helplessly over the edge for Alex, the secrets that he insists on keeping refuse to be contained, and the truth that she uncovers challenges everything she has ever believed. Alex is a witch. And now he’s awakened something within her she never even knew existed. But out of all of this, the one thing Rowan won’t accept is the fact that Alex is destined to die.

Now Rowan must unearth the buried power she harbors within to escape a deadly prophecy, defy the very laws of time, and prevent the hands of fate from taking yet another person she loves.


Here's the trailer for PERIGEE MOON:



And my interview with Tara, below:

Me: I saw from your website that R.L. Stine was one of your influences. What do you like most about his writing, and what other influences shaped your journey as a writer?

TARA: R.L. Stine was one of my favorite YA authors when I was teen. I also loved Christopher Pike. In both cases I loved the kinds of stories they wrote. They kept me on the edge of my seat and way up past time. I'm a sucker for a story that I can't put down until it's done. Another big influence of my mine was Edgar Allen Poe. I've always been a big fan of poetry and dark stories. I think that comes through with the "lyrical" tone that accompanies my writing and the dark topics that come up in my books.

Me: I'm also a big fan of Poe--there's nothing like a story you can't put down!
I love the premise of PERIGEE MOON. What inspired the story, and what do you want readers to take away from it?

TARA: I had wanted to write a time travel story for a while. I've always been a fan of history too, so one day when I was watching a documentary on the Salem Witch Trials (which yes, is the sort of thing I do for fun, lol) the idea just kind of hit me. Why not combine the two.
As far as what I want readers to take away from the story? Never give up. Sometimes in life things can seem hopeless, like there is no possible way out. But there is. Just when you least expect it, strength you didn't even knew you had can surface and save your life. This was Rowan's case  and I really hope that people that read this take that away. That you are capable of more than you know.

Me: Such a fantastic message, for both readers and writers alike. On your website, you say, "Music has a lot to do with my creative process." How so?

TARA: I write to music. In fact every book I write has it's own soundtrack. Every scene has it's own song. It's a very helpful took when going back to revise, or picking up where you left off.

Me: I see that your next book, INBETWEEN comes out this August. Could you tell us more about it, as well as other projects you're working on?

TARA: INBETWEEN is a project I am so excited about. It is the first in my KISSED BY DEATH series. There will be three books in this series and it follows the after-lives of three grim reapers. Here is the blurb for INBETWEEN:

Since the car crash that took her father’s life three years ago, Emma’s life has been a freaky—and unending—lesson in caution. Surviving countless “accidents” has taken priority over being a normal seventeen-year-old, so Emma spends her days taking pictures of life instead of living it. Falling in love with a boy was never part of the plan. Falling for a reaper who makes her chest ache and her head spin? Not an option.

It’s not easy being dead—especially for a reaper who is in love with a girl fate has put on his hit list not once, but twice. Finn’s fellow reapers give him hell about spending time with Emma, but Finn couldn’t let her die before, and he’s not about to let her die now. He will protect the girl he loves from the evil soul hell bent on stealing her body, even if it means sacrificing the only thing he has left…his soul.

I am currently working on the sequel to INBETWEEN. I also have a secret novel in the works but I'm not ready to give out any details on that one just yet. Top secret. ;)

 Me: INBETWEEN sounds like a very compelling story, and I can't wait to find out more about that secret novel. :)
What would you tell an aspiring writer who wants to write in the paranormal genre? What are some lessons you've learned along the way?

TARA: Don't follow trends. It's very tempting to do so, but always realize that when something is hot, it also means the market is probably saturated with it. Find your voice and a fresh idea and run with it.


Thanks, Tara, for your time, and I can't wait to read more of your books!


Here are some links to find out more about Tara:
 website: http://tarafuller.com/
twitter: https://twitter.com/Tara25Fuller
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tara25fuller

And here's a link to Amazon.com if you want to buy PERIGEE MOON!

No comments: