Wednesday, May 9, 2012

GRETA AND THE GOBLIN KING, by Chloe Jacobs

GRETA AND THE GOBLIN KING will debut this November, but I've decided to feature it early because it sounds like such a fantastic read.

GRETA AND THE GOBLIN KING

While trying to save her brother four years ago, Greta was thrown into the witch’s fire herself, falling through a portal to a dangerous world where humans are the enemy, and every ogre, goblin, and ghoul has a dark side that comes out with the full moon.

To survive, seventeen-year-old Greta has hidden her humanity and taken the job of bounty hunter—and she’s good at what she does. So good, she’s caught the attention of Mylena’s young Goblin King, the darkly enticing Isaac, who invades her dreams and undermines her determination to escape.

But Greta’s not the only one looking to get out of Mylena. The full moon is mere days away, and an ancient evil knows she’s the key to opening the portal. If Greta fails, she and the lost boys of Mylena will die. If she succeeds, no world will be safe from what follows her back…
 
Here are Chloe's answers to some of my questions:
 
Your website bio states you have a day job while still carving out time to write. What would you recommend to full-time workers pursing a writing career?

Invest in psychotropic meds? LOL – forget I said that. *shaking head* No No No. Don’t go out trying to buy drugs. Seriously. I was kidding.

Really.

I think that the most important things when working a full time day job and trying to write are to put everything on a schedule, stick to it religiously, and be realistic. I bring my laptop to the day job 3 out of 5 days per week, and write during my lunch hour. In that time, I can consistently get at least 500-750 words. Then, in the evenings, I know that I won’t be writing until 8:30 pm after dinner and cleaning up is done, and my son has gone to bed. I turn off the internet so I don’t have any distractions, and I don’t stop until I’ve reached my goal for the day (which is usually 1000-1500 words). And nope, it’s not a ton of writing, but I have to be realistic about it. I can’t write 3000 words a day and still get any sleep (or keep a happy marriage and family).


Great advice--especially the part about turning off the internet. I'll definitely try to incorporate some of these tips into my writing.
GRETA AND THE GOBLIN KING has a great premise. What inspired the story and what do you want readers to take away when they're done reading it?

I LOVE this story! The idea for Greta came to me out of a love of fairy tales, and this one is kind of a twist on Hansel and Gretel / Alice in Wonderland … and that old ‘80’s movie, Labyrinth. Throw in a kick-ass heroine and a dangerous hero, and it all comes together!

I hope that readers will love it as much as I do. It’s really a story about home. What is home? What makes a home? Who makes a home? … and how far would you go to find home again if you became lost?


That's a great theme, and one that a lot of people can relate to. I can't wait to read it!
Entangled seems like a great publisher. Can you tell us more about your decision to publish with them and what you've learned along the way?

Entangled is a FANTASTIC publisher. I’ve had only wonderful experiences with everyone, especially my editor Heather Howland. And because Greta is my first young adult book, I’ve learned so much about the YA blogging and reviewing community. It’s been so exciting to meet so many people who are excited about reading and really get involved in the books.


It sounds like you've done a lot of successful networking!
GRETA AND THE GOBLIN KING is part of a series. What can readers expect in subsequent books, and what other projects are you currently working on?

Well, I can’t say too much about the second book just yet, but things between Greta and Isaac (the goblin king) really heat up as they get embroiled in a whole new adventure!

Thanks so much for having me as a guest. I really appreciate the opportunity and it was great visiting! Thank you, Chloe, for passing along your wisdom!
 
I'll feature GRETA AND THE GOBLIN KING again when it comes out...until then, here's some more information about Chloe:
 
Chloe Jacobs is a native of nowhere and everywhere, having jumped around to practically every Province of Canada before finally settling in Ontario where she has now been living for a respectable number of years. Her husband and son are the two best people in the entire world, but they also make her wish she'd at least gotten a female cat. No such luck. And although the day job keeps her busy, she carves out as much time as possible to write. Bringing new characters to life and finding out what makes them tick and how badly she can make them suffer is one of her greatest pleasures, almost better than chocolate and fuzzy pink bunny slippers. Find her online at http://www.chloejacobs.com/ and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/Jacobs_Chloe

2 comments:

Laura Hughes, MittensMorgul said...

Another book I'll be looking forward to eagerly! This sounds wonderful! The world you created sounds fascinating.

Chloe Jacobs said...

Thanks so much!! I love writing in this world, which puts me right in the middle of book 2 now! :)