Monday, January 9, 2017

Manic Monday, Writer's Block, and Kitchen Timers

I've had a hard time getting motivated this morning. Maybe it's because the novelty of the holidays is over and now it's time to get back to work, do all the running around, etc. Cue the Bangles:


In the midst of this, I'm attempting to re-plot a short story so I can resubmit it, and I have nada. Less than nada. So to help with this Monday business, I've decided include a link to help with motivation and writer's block. In searching for Dan Roos and his kitchen timer method (which I read about in Lauren Graham's Talking as Fast As I Can), I stumbled upon this beating writer's block handout from Your Screenplay Sucks. I found this quote from E.B. White particularly fitting:

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." ~ E.B. White

Today, I'm voting to improve the world, which means yes, I will be cuing up the kitchen timer pretty much right after I've finished editing this blog post, and seeing if I can eke a plot twist out of this limp short story. (Seriously, scroll down to the kitchen timer part. Definitely worth your time.)

So happy Manic Monday, everyone. Whether you are improving the world, enjoying the world (or both), I hope this post finds you happy.

No comments: