Wednesday, September 4, 2019

THERE WILL COME A DARKNESS by Katy Rose Pool

I've known about this book for awhile, and I'm ecstatic that it's finally available. THERE WILL COME A DARKNESS contains characters from multiple diverse backgrounds in a world on the verge of destruction; it debuted on September 3, 2019.

The Age of Darkness approaches.
Five lives stand in its way.
Who will stop it... or unleash it? 

For generations, the Seven Prophets guided humanity. Using their visions of the future, they ended wars and united nations―until the day, one hundred years ago, when the Prophets disappeared.

All they left behind was one final, secret prophecy, foretelling an Age of Darkness and the birth of a new Prophet who could be the world’s salvation . . . or the cause of its destruction. As chaos takes hold, five souls are set on a collision course:

A prince exiled from his kingdom.
A ruthless killer known as the Pale Hand.
A once-faithful leader torn between his duty and his heart. 
A reckless gambler with the power to find anything or anyone.
And a dying girl on the verge of giving up.

One of them―or all of them―could break the world. Will they be savior or destroyer?

According to your website bio, your father was a screenwriter. In what ways, if any, did this influence your own writing? 

It’s definitely been a huge asset to me, because we would discuss movies and stories and how they work from a very early age. That way of analyzing stories and their plot beats has become so ingrained in me that it’s fairly effortless for me to plot a book and make sure it’s hitting the right beats at the right time. That said, my approach to story is so different from his! Obviously film and novels are two very different mediums, and beyond that my dad is extremely concept and premise-driven whereas I am much more interested in character and my stories usually start there. But it’s been kind of fun to think that I’m sort of carrying on the family legacy!


Speaking of characters, I love the variety of them in THERE WILL COME A DARKNESS. How did they come to you, and did any of them surprise you?

As I said, my characters are usually the first thing I start to figure out in a story. In There Will Come a Darkness, these characters all kind of came with a central question in mind--which is, what happens when you have to face your worst fear? Each of them has to grapple with this and figure out if they are really the person they believe themselves to be. The character who surprised me most was probably Beru--her role in the story grew quite a bit from when I’d first conceived of her, and her reactions to certain things in the book were very different from what I’d planned.


I love when that happens! What, in your opinion, is the most challenging part of the writing process?

For me it’s probably building momentum. I’m a fairly slow drafter, and a slow reviser, and I think it’s because I just tend to overthink things and be a perfectionist about them. I really like to consider every angle of a plot or character and that constant re-evaluation can really slow me down.


Indeed. What are some of your current projects?

Right now I’m super focused on the sequel to There Will Come a Darkness! I am very excited for where the second book takes the characters and I can’t wait for people to read it.


Buy: Book Passage ~ Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble ~ Indiebound


This post can also be viewed here

No comments: