Wednesday, August 29, 2018

THE EDGE OF EVERYTHING and THE BRINK OF DARKNESS by Jeff Giles

I first met Jeff Giles during a recent author event, and once I learned the premise of THE EDGE OF EVERYTHING, I had to buy it. The prologue of THE EDGE OF EVERYTHING is one of the best I've read, and the second book in the series, THE BRINK OF DARKNESS just debuted. Have a look:


It’s been a shattering year for seventeen-year-old Zoe, who’s still reeling from her father's shockingly sudden death in a caving accident and her neighbors’ mysterious disappearance from their own home. Then on a terrifying sub-zero, blizzardy night in Montana, she and her brother are brutally attacked in a cabin in the woods—only to be rescued by a mysterious bounty hunter they call X.

X is no ordinary bounty hunter. He is from a hell called the Lowlands, sent to claim the soul of Zoe’s evil attacker and others like him. X is forbidden from revealing himself to anyone other than his prey, but he casts aside the Lowlands’ rules for Zoe. As they learn more about their colliding worlds, they begin to question the past, their fate, and their future.



Things have changed for seventeen-year-old Zoe ever since the otherworldly events that brought her together with the mysterious bounty hunter she calls X. In order to save Zoe and her family, X has done the unthinkable - he's given up his freedom and returned to captivity in the Lowlands.

X is determined to break the lords' hold on him once and for all, but being stripped of his power pushes him toward a darkness he's never experienced and a past he's never known. The secrets that surface could be the key to reuniting X and Zoe... or they could mean the destruction of everything they have been fighting for.



According to your Twitter page, Julia Roberts told you, "I feel no dread when I have to see you." Can you explain?

Thank you for asking-- no one else ever has! I interviewed Julia Roberts a few times when I was a magazine writer. The first time she was very young and almost completely unknown. The second time was right before "Erin Brockovich" came out, when she was probably the most famous actress in the world. Anyway, for the second article, I spent time with her over the course of a few days and she'd been annoyed by another journalist. She was telling me how much she dreaded seeing that guy, and telling me I wasn't so bad. She has a way with compliments!

I'll bet she does--and I'm surprised no one else has asked you about her! I love the beginning of The Edge of Everything. How did you know this was the right beginning for this story?  

Thank you. The first scene started as an image that popped into my head. I pictured a young girl who has to go into the woods, during a blizzard, and sees someone trying to kill a man by drowning him in a hole in a frozen lake. From there, I had to figure who the girl was and what the murder was all about. It had a supernatural tinge in my imagination, so it became the story of a girl who meets a bounty hunter from hell who's sent to capture evil souls.

Fascinating. The sequel to The Edge of Everything, The Brink of Darkness, takes place in the Lowlands. We hear about Second Book Blues a lot--what was the most challenging aspect of expanding Zoe's story, and what was the most rewarding? 

It was a blast to revisit the characters. I just love writing dialogue for them because so many of them are misfits. And of course I loved creating new characters, especially in the underworld sections of the book, because I could invent people from any century I wanted. Yes, second books can incredibly hard but since this was the ending of a duology I knew the ending I was writing toward. The biggest challenge was figuring out if my main character--the bounty hunter from the underworld--could finally escape from hell and, if so, how? I needed the plot to be thrilling, but also plausible. I'm really happy with what I came up with.

I'm glad! What are some of your current projects?

I'll never tell! Okay, I'll say I'm writing a new YA novel about love in the aftermath of a tragedy. It's very different than the "Edge of Everything" books and I'm really swept up in it.


Buy: BookPassage ~ Amazon.com Barnes & Noble ~  IndieBound





Buy: BookPassage ~ Amazon.com Barnes & Noble ~  IndieBound

This post can also be viewed here.

No comments: