Wednesday, September 11, 2013

THE MURDER COMPLEX, by Lindsay Cummings

Lindsay Cummings' book THE MURDER COMPLEX doesn't come out until next year, but the premise was so intriguing that I couldn't wait to feature it. See below:

Your mind is not your own...

Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?


Lindsay also answered a few of my questions:

Your website bio states that you started writing due to some medical issues. How many years did you devote to honing your craft, and can you tell us more about your journey toward publication?

I've always been a writer, since I was little. It wasn't until I graduated high school in 2009 that I really took it seriously. I got really sick with Chronic Fatigue issues. I had lots of surgeries in a row, and I ended up laying in bed almost all day every day, because I lost all my energy and health. My dad, a double amputee, was 19 when he lost his legs. He turned to writing in a journal. I went back and looked at that journal, and I saw how much writing helped him. I ended up doing the same thing he did....and suddenly, I felt like I was free from the depression and stuff that came with my health issues. Ever since then, writing became my dream. I studied it, went to conferences, and worked my butt off until I got an agent, and it went on from there. It's still a lot of work...but so worth it.

Such an inspiring story--and I'm glad writing provided a good outlet to help you heal. I love the premise of THE MURDER COMPLEX. Where did the idea originate, and what do you want your readers to take away when they're finished with it?

I want readers to feel fearless when they're done reading it. The idea came from me being sick, and feeling trapped in a world where I couldn't escape. The murdering part came from a newspaper article!

You've also written an MG book called THE BALANCE KEEPERS. Great premise in this one too. I'd like to know more about the 11-year-old protagonist--did he come to you fully formed or did you flesh him out while writing the book?

The Balance Keepers is SO much fun! Albert Flynn, the main character, sort of came half-formed. While writing the book, he developed little quirks and favorite phrases, and I really started to love him!

It definitely looks like fun, and it's great when characters flesh themselves out that way! I love the design on your website. What do you recommend to aspiring writers wanting to build an online platform?

Hafsah at Icey Designs made it. She's a rockstar designer!!! Be yourself online...people are drawn to authenticity.

Good advice! What are some of your current projects? Will THE MURDER COMPLEX have a sequel?

The Murder Complex is a 2-book series. It also has a novella that goes with it....a prequel story! :)

Be sure to get a copy of THE MURDER COMPLEX for yourself by clicking below! To find out more about Lindsay, click here.



No comments: