Wednesday, November 13, 2013

THE BEST LAID PLANS by Tamara Mataya

From last week's interview with Kelly Barnhill, her short story, "The Insect and the Astronomer," is now available for free! 

This week, we switch to romance. I found Tamara Mataya on Twitter when I saw her posts on Janet Reid's blog. Not only is she a super cool writer librarian, her new book, THE BEST LAID PLANS, came out November 4.

Jayne Griffin isn’t looking for Mr. Right. She’s looking for Mr. RTFN and a toe-curling good time. She’s got the brains, the powerful job as a futures broker, and thanks to a makeover and a thin book of dating advice, the confidence to turn any man’s head.

Malcolm Black notices his high school crush, Jayne, from the stage of her company’s work party. His adolescent feelings for her died beneath months of abuse at the hands of bullies. Abuse that was Jayne’s fault. Though this scorching hot studio musician is unrecognizable as the band geek he used to be, the hurt still lives inside him, and he hatches a plan: Seduce Jayne into falling in love with him, and then shatter her heart.

The white-hot chemistry between them is a pleasant surprise. It all goes so smoothly until Feelings start to develop... and that invitation to their ten year high school reunion lands in their inboxes.

Jayne wants the perfect lover. Malcolm wants revenge. But you know what they say about The Best Laid Plans...


Here are Tamara's answers to some of my questions:

 As a fellow librarian, you must have a healthy love of books! Did that draw you toward writing, or did the writing happen first?

I've ALWAYS been a reader. I ended up sucking at math in the fifth grade, because we had reading period before math, and I sat at the back of the room. EVERY DAY I'd sort of emerge from my book haze and realize that the rest of the class had moved on to math, and I'd still been reading, and had missed half the lesson! So I've ALWAYS lost myself in books. As for writing, my first real writerly experience, was in the sixth grade, when my short story was chosen as a winner, and I got to go to the Young Author's Conference, and have my story published in an anthology. The story was about a jack-o-lantern that came to life, found love, had seventeen children, then was left a widower and single father! I still have the anthology :)
 

That's awesome! I had a similar math experience. I always pulled a C average, and was called a "daydreamer"  by one of my elementary school teachers.
I love the premise of THE BEST LAID PLANS. What inspired the idea, and what do you want readers to take away when they're finished?

I was thinking about the stories we all carry with us beneath our skin. People are shocked when I tell them I was picked on in school, and wasn't popular by any means. I wondered if two seemingly perfect people could get past the scars of their pasts and see something amazing right in front of them... even if they share a less than stellar past.
 

As for what people take away from it, I hope it helps them let go of something weighing them down. Maybe letting go of some hurt from their pasts too. :)
 

Very well put. I love your Twitter handle, Feaky Snucker. How did it come about?

A conversation with my dad and older brother! My brother was talking about what he'd name a spy/ detective agency, and my dad called him Sneaky Fu..... I promptly commandeered it from my brother, made a tweak, and I've been Feaky Snucker ever since!
 

You just signed a 3 book deal with Swoon Romance--congratulations! Will your books all be part of the same series? What other projects are you currently working on?

 Thank you!!! I feel like Malcolm and Jayne (MC's from THE BEST LAID PLANS)'s story has been told, and at this moment in time, I can't think of anything I want to add. There could be books featuring other characters in TBLP, which would include a peek at Malcolm and Jayne in the future!

As for WIP's, how much time have you got?! I have WAY too many ideas. I'm currently writing two main WIP's, and have about 7 ideas for others vying for my attention! I've got contemporary NA romance, NA Action/ adventure, YA Sci-fi, NA Urban Fantasy! I'm set for a while and am SO fortunate to have found an agency that lets me write more than one Category/ Genre! 


To get a hold of THE BEST LAID PLANS for yourself, click on the link below:

 

No comments: