Monday, March 12, 2012

Just When You Think You're Invisible...

Congratulations to @whatisjuanoscar, winner of MY FRESHMAN YEAR AND OTHER UNNATURAL DISASTERS!

If the writing contests I've entered lately are any indictation, the competition out there is very fierce. To the point where I'll let myself get intimidated if I'm not careful.

Perhaps this is why my last few posts have centered upon the thickness of the slush pile--how to make your work stand out--and how to find support networks while you're waiting to get noticed.

But what I forgot are the surprises that can happen. How they fall out of the sky when you least expect them.

After those posts went live, an editor of a book I'd reviewed contacted me through my website asking if I wanted to contribute a chapter to her next book. I was flabbergasted, and happily agreed.

So--just when you're feeling discouraged, feeling like there are too many talented writers out there for you to stand out, thinking that you can't take any more rejections...know that there will always be opportunities out there, if you're willing to look. And most of them will come in shapes you won't expect.

I leave you with this quote:

"Dwell in possibilities." ~Emily Dickinson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you! You're such a good writer--I'm sure your contribution will be wonderful. Congrats!

The Writer Librarian said...

Thanks, Alison!

High praise, especially from you, a good writer in your own right. I'm loving your story, and I can't wait to read more. :)